Sunday, February 08, 2009

The woman is always right

My brother has requested that I actually post on my blog. While it no longer serves any real purpose for me, I don't mind posting a couple of things every now and again. So here ya go, bro.

Several weeks ago, a group of us were playing a game called Loaded Questions. I won't explain how the game works, but one particular question that was asked was what should a guy never do is a relationship. As typical with me, I'm going to find some witty intelegent way of answering the question, so I turned the above statement on its head. My response to the question was that a guy should never say he's right when he is right. This statement got me thinking a little about this phrase, "The woman is always right." The more I think about it, the less I like the consequences of what the above statement means.

First, as I did above and turned it on its head to say that even when the guy it right, he shouldn't say that he is right. In other words, you're asking the guy in the relationship to lie to you. If you're asking the guy to lie to you, how does that foster any sort of trust in the relationship. You would think that with this intimate and personal of a relationship with somebody, you would want trust to be a core value of that relationship, and yet we undermine it unknowingly with a phrase like this one.

This phrase is hardly a phrase that sponsers communication as well. I'm sure one would look at this quote and asume that it's just talking about little things here and there. But once this pattern of lying about little things to keep the peace is established, when it comes around to important issues, what's to stop that pattern from continueing. How far will you continue to lie to keep the peace, instead of bringing up an issue that only will worsen as time continues.

Anyway, just some random thoughts.

5 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger D'ann said...

uhhh,... are we feeling a little over-analytical??!

However, with that said, i must point out that whenever she is pregnant; the woman is ALWAYS right! We deserve a little baby-ing now and again!! (unless you want to have the kids yourself ;-)

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Trueblat said...

Heh, it is my major. I'm just doing what I do best.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Hmachine said...

LOL. I agree with D'ann. However, I think D and I do a good job of respecting each other when we are right!! :) So I don't totally agree with the saying either. :) But SERIOUSLY over-analyzing (j/k). . . family trait, huh?

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger The Maven said...

Oh where to start....

A man should never try to analyze to this depth - and then try and make sense of it.

I've never said that either is always right. It pays to reserver your "rightness" for the correct moment. Never deploy it before it's time, you'll never know when you need it.

Always tell the truth, however don't insist on being right all the time. Be willing to let someone else be right.

Remember a certain someone who was so convinced they were right that they crawled underneath their desk until mom had to come to school and retrieve them?

Right can be taken to an extreme.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Well - it's not that the man is wrong, it's that the woman is right. And the statement is sort of relative. It's 'full' form is. If what the woman wants is the 'goal' (as we usually have different goals and directions), then what she says is right. To view her as right and you as wrong is to view you as enemies. Obviously not what you want (or is it?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home