Saturday, September 16, 2006

Forgiveness

I was planning on going mountain biking today, but with the rain last night, looks like I'll just write something instead.

Perhaps one of the oddest things that has happened to me in a while was yesterday. In a way, it is very sad that I would consider this odd. It really shouldn't be.

During class yesterday, the teacher was demonstrating how to get dents out of the bow of a trumpet bell using dent balls and a Roth tool. The first thing he had to do was find the right size of dent ball. I believe he was on his third try when I asked if it would be possible to use the micrometer and measure it precisely, then proceed with the proper dent ball, instead of having to eyeball which dent ball might work. He said that by the time you complete all the measurements you'd need, the diameter of the bell where the dent is, and the thickness of the materials used, he could have checked about three different sized dent balls. Anyway class went on, and I thought nothing of it.

Later, I was doing some finishing touches on some soldering jobs. I was having issues with one of the patches I was putting on and was questioning him on it. Before he started that he pulled me into another room to talk to me. I was a little confused, but agreed. He then apologized for the way he had acted, and asked for my forgiveness. I had to ask about what. He felt that when he had responded to my question that he had answered it in a demeaning tone and unprofessional manner. I told him it was no problem. That wasn't the answer he was looking for though. He wanted me to say yes, I forgive you, which I did.

It was a very interesting experience. I applaud the guy for doing what he did, and my respect for him has increased in that regards, and it's actually caused me to think a little bit about this subject.

What constitutes forgiveness? Rarely do we ever say the exact words, "Will you forgive me?" and "I forgive you." I can honestly say that I can only remember twice in my life when I've heard these words in actual use. Hearing them in church during a lesson or talk doesn't count. I have often apologized for my actions when the occasion has called for it, but I never actually asked for forgiveness. Do we automatically assume that it is implied when we apologize? Is it necessary to go to the length of pulling somebody into a different room and specifically ask for forgiveness? In a way it is much more direct and leaves no room for misunderstandings, while just saying, "I'm sorry," and "No big deal" at times seems more of belittling the situation than actually resolving the situation.

The problem with a more direct approach is that it leaves people open and in situations where they perhaps feel a little more uncomfortable. I will admit that I felt uncomfortable by the direct and open manner of this teacher in asking my forgiveness. Perhaps if we as a people took more of a direct approach, we would understand forgiveness and its application to the atonement a little better, and be more comfortable with that type of approach. Just some food for thought.

2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, this would bother me.

He essentially forced a "forgiveness" out of you, simply to salvage his own conscience.

It didn't matter that you didn't see that there was a need for forgiveness, what mattered to him was his own feelings of needing to be forgiven. His feelings took precendence, and were quite selfish.

I really don't like it when people do that.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Trueblat said...

I think it's interesting to see how our perception of situations are different.

I would disagree that it was a selfish act. He could have felt guilt because he had offended me in some way, in which case he was concerned with the way I feel. And again this could be turned around to say that he wanted to make sure that he was concerned about his own self-image and what I thought of him. It more or less depends on our perception of the situation.

I remember a discussion about the existence of altruistic motives, and much the same applies to this situation. Was he more concerned for himself or me? Neither of us could say for sure.

I'm sure there's probably better ways to ask for forgiveness and receive forgiveness than the above situation. I couldn't tell you what that is though. I still feel that he's at least making a better effort than most people, regardless of his motives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home