Saturday, October 23, 2004

Stop and Smell the Roses

You know, I haven't done this in a really long time. The last time I had a full day to myself has probably been since before school started. I've had days off, but I still did things and kept up with things. This weekend is the first time this semester that I haven't had a football game, performance, rehearsal etc. Marching band cancelled their Friday night practice, I cancelled my school observation, so I finished school at noon, with full intent of going home for the first time since June and do absolutely nothing.

I load up my vehicle and take off for home, about a two hour drive. It's about the time I hit the highway that I realize that it's fall. Then I fell in love with Kentucky all over again. The whether was absolutely perfect, just a slight chill to the air that you may need a jacket. A nice little fog settles over the land, giving it a peaceful feel. The trees are just absolutely beautiful this time of year. You've got your brilliant red leaves standing out among the other colors. The oranges and yellows and greens and all the shades in between provide a nice collage for your eyes. As I travel along even further, I see fields with some cattle in it. The hay rolled up in bundles. The many barns and silos that dot the way. The nice houses that are fairly close by that the family live in. The tobacco hanging out to dry. The Baptist church at the top of the hill. The three crosses on the right that marked the sight of the deaths of three people who died in a car accident there. Traveling through the rolling hills of Eastern Kentucky. It was absolutely awesome.

I get to my exit onto Route 5. This road is one of the curviest roads, and loads of fun to travel on. You can always tell a person foreign to the area, where they drive at about 30, when the locals go about 50. I know every sweet curve and passing zone and strait sections like the back of my hand. They've made a strait highway that actually cuts down on time, but you've definitely got to take the scenic routes through Kentucky, they're great. I pass another typical southern Baptist church, actually about 6 altogether on Route 5 alone. You find your lots that are full of cars that are being worked on. I pass the old blue bus, that's sat in the same spot for as long as I can remember, at least 15 years. I always used that blue bus as a landmark of where to turn to get to one of my friend's house. It now being overgrown by the forest. You've got your typical roadkill, I only saw about 4 this time. Usually it's more. At least I haven't hit anything, although I've seen several deer passing through on several occasions. I pass about 3 other churches. I'm finally getting close to home. I pass the LDS church, the only one in about a 40 minute radius. I'm about 1/2 a mile from my house now. I continue to drive through the area I've lived my entire life. A nice small town of about 10,000 people and three stoplights. Two have been added since I was born. I drive down the dead end street we live on. Our neighbor's out in her garden where she's been working all morning replanting her bushes and shrubs after the plumbing company tore it all up. Have a nice little chat with her. I love our neighbors. On the other side is the Rice's. Their an old retired couple. Willing to help out with anything. Across the street is a new family, so I never met them, but at least they're replenishing the neighborhood with kids, as we're all grown up now. Also across the street is my best friend's house. Her car is sitting right out in front covered with leaves, as she's still out of state and will hopefully come home for Christmas. Her grandma is just another house over. You'll never meet a nicer person and one who cares so much about everyone.

I used to not like where I grew up. No diversity, very much backwoods Kentucky, not the best educated people etc, etc. I think it took my mission to Vegas to let me appreciate what I have here. The beauty of the land. It's absolutely awesome. Your picturesque scenes of a good ol' Southern atmosphere, even if we are a border state. The people here are great. We have at least a little Southern charm here, not a lot, but enough. It makes you feel like parts of America still carry the values that have been lost in larger cities. Not to mention we've got the absolute best State Song in the entire United States. No one else can come close.

I've lived in Kentucky 21 years now. My parents live in the same home that I was born in. You know, even if they move, and I move out of state, or wherever life takes me, Kentucky will always be home and have a special place in my heart.

If a picture's worth a thousand words, I should have a million here for what I saw and felt. Unfortunately I don't have the time or the writing skills to tell you what I saw and how I felt. And you would NEVER hear me say this out loud to someone, but I felt like sharing it anyway. Too sedimental for my taste...usually. Well just to tell all, stop and smell the roses. It can be quite refreshing.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger Trueblat said...

Gee... and I thought pop-ups were bad enough.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Benvolio said...

I got one of those too. I might have to look into restricting my blog to comments from members only. I liked the blog, by the way. The same sentimental rubish I feel around here lately, but not the sort I bring up in conversation very often. Maybe I'll wax eloquent about the beauty of DC sometime, but I'm more entertained by the contrast of Congress members and hobos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home