Thursday, January 13, 2005

Institute and doctrinal thoughts

So today was the first day of our weekly institute class at the church. I managed to forget percil and paper to write down my thoughts and impressions, so I decided to write study and write down a little bit on my blog because I felt it was something that I'd like to ponder about a little more. Also while paper and pencil is great, I have stacks of notes that are unorganized and laying around in piles that I rarely go through, so I figured it would be more benificial to write it up as a blog.

We went over a talk given by Elder Eyring at a CES Training Broadcast back in August called "Raising Expectations". So let's see where I want to go with this... Feel free to make comments based on whatever I put down.

In class we first discussed true conversion and the significance of it. A deep firm conversion implies never slacking from the path that has been set. An example sited was that of Anti-Nephi-Lehies. Alma 23:6-7. The end of verse 6... "were converted unto the Lord, NEVER DID FALL AWAY." They were always steadfast. I wonder if they had their minor slumps that I tend to have. It tends to imply that at no time was there any doubt or any time they succummed to temptation. I tend to have my lapses. So what sets about true conversion?

Another interesting point brought up in class in verse 7: "they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion" Instead of war, rebellion is used. So what can I consider my weapons of rebellion that I use to fight against God? Because of time issues right now, I'll save that for later.

In the talk, Elder Eyring points out that as the world darkens, partial conversions and a few spiritual experiences may seem more remarkable, compared to the world, but scripture tells us that we are to expect more. Keep in mind this talk is for the teachers, but can be for students to. I guess for the time being I'll consider myself the teacher and student. More is expected. He quotes Joel 2:27-32. Point of interest, "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit." This is what is expected and we must have. How is it that we get to this point? What expectations do we use to raise the bar?

Elder Eyring points out four steps to take. While these are steps which we are all familiar with, to what depth do we do these?

1. "The first choice they must make is to pray with faith that the gift of the Spirit will come beyond their human capacities." I can't say that I've prayed for the gift of the Spirit beyond my human capacities. For the Spirit yes, but to that extent. He relates his father's expectation for him to receive revelation beyond his human capabilities. Do we expect this from ourselves, as well as those who we teach in whatever setting? What is an example of something I can receive revelation for that I can't get with my human capabilities? Is there anything I require now that I can pray for beyond my capabilities that the Lord can provide me? How do I relate this to me? What is expected of me from others that I can't do by myself without the Lord's help? Nothing, nobody expects me to go beyond my human capabilities that's directly involved with me? Hmmm... is this the responsibilities of parents and teachers? I need to find out what my expectations are.

2. "There is a second choice we can help them make which will move them along the path to the companionship of the Spirit. It is to choose to trust the scriptures which speak of spiritual gifts with the simple faith of a child." We all study scriptures, but how much do we trust in the scriptures. Going back to the scripture in Joel, "Your young men shall see visions" Do I trust in the scriptures enough that tonight I shall see visions? Can I have the faith of a child to beleive that? Could that be an expectation I could set for myself, as this I would consider beyond my human capabilities? I guess I see now how this ties in very well to #1.

3. "The third choice we can help them make is to be obedient to the impressions of the Spirit when they come." This statement to me seems fairly standard, yet for the life of me, can I even remember the last time that I had an impression from the Spirit of something I should do. I take that back now as I've pondered it a little. The next setence reads, "When the Spirit confirms eternal truth, there is always something to be done about it." I felt the Spirit as we discussed these things in class. Eternal truth has been confirmed and now action needs to be taken on it. So what are these actions that need to be taken? Pray for gift of Spirit beyond my capabilities. Study the scriptures, wait, trust in the scriptures and the spiritual gifts mentioned in them and act upon them. Makes sense.

4. "The fourth and perhaps most important choice anyone can make to invite the Spirit is to testify of the Savior and His Restoration of His true Church through His prophet Joseph Smith." This topic seems to be the one I understand the least. I've always had trouble bearing my testimony. It's there but I never seem to feel right when I bear my testimony. Let's see if thinking on it a little helps... "The Spirit testifies of all truth. And yet the surest way I know to have the Spirit come to verify what you say is to testify of the Savior." I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. If I talk about a particular subject, say scripture study, you can have the Spirit verify that it is true by testifying of the Savior? I'm not sure I'm making correct sense of that. Any thoughts? Perhaps reading on will help... "So when the person you love and serve feels the Spirit as you testify of the Savior, it strengthens their faith." Makes sense, but how does that relate to that particular subject? I must be reading it wrong.

Unfortunately, the library closes soon, and my brain has finished for the day, so I'll post what Elder Eyring says for the fourth choice exactly if you feel like pondering it out.

"The fourth and perhaps most important choice anyone can make to invite the Spirit is to testify of the Savior and His Restoration of His true Church through His prophet Joseph Smith. When we set that example we set an expectation that others will be blessed by.
This is how it works. One of the offices of the Holy Ghost is to testify of the Savior and His work. There are many true things you can choose to say to your child or to your student. the Spirit testifies of all truth. And yet the surest way I know to have the Spirit come to verify what you say is to testify of the Savior. So, when the person you love and serve feels the Spirit as you testify of the Savior, it strengthens their faith. They then are more likely to choose to testify of their growing faith in Him and His works. And when they do, the Spirit will confirm what they say to those who hear them. And it will reinforce their own faith."
He expounds a little more on it through examples, but that's too long for me to post. Now that I look back on what I've studied, there is a lot of insane implications involved with this, and some of it almost scares me. If I truly become converted and live my life exactly as I've pondered through in this post. In ways that can be scary and exciting. Well I guess at this point I am to act on the knowledge received. Wow, that's a lot of faith to have. We'll see what happens. Please feel free to agree, disagree, expound, comment on anything I've thought.

3 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger azurerocket said...

Good idea posting ponderings on your blog. I might steal your idea; I always lose my slips of paper.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Etelmik said...

I remember when I read D+C 93:1 and then found the promise repeated in 88 and 67. It changed my life forever, especially when I had a ZL on my mission testify of 93:1 specifically. "That is REAL," he said, the last time I ever saw him, when he spoke to our little district.

I'm glad you posted this, as I'd been lowering my expectation in some things. I should expect the amazing. I've met some people who are as the ones described in Jarom 1:4 and Helaman 11:23. The Book of Mormon's secondary mission, the first one after testifying of the Master, is to teach us about revelation and what our attitude should be on it. It is so frequently mentioned...

I need to go to a refresher on this. I'm glad you posted. The implications truly do seem, as you said, "insane" and "scary."

Don't worry, though, after time you kinda get the hang of having that kind of mindset in everything you do ;P

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Amy said...

The more I reflect on life and the gospel, and the more I come to understand the role of the Savior and the Atonement, the more I realize that the Atonement is central to everything. So when Elder Eyring says, "the surest way I know to have the Spirit come to verify what you say is to testify of the Savior," it just makes sense to me. I don't think it means testifying about the power of the scriptures, and then throwing in your little bit about the Savior to make sure that the Spirit will come to bear witness to what you are saying. Rather, I think it means learning to recognize how the Savior and His Atonement is central to your testimony of the power of the scriptures. This may or may not come out directly in what you say, but if you develop your testimony of the Savior and learn to understand how everything fits together because of the Savior, this knowledge will come through when you bear testimony, and will strengthen that testimony and will bring the Spirit even more powerfully to yourself and those who listen.

So yeah, those were my thoughts as I read your thoughts. I don't know you very well (okay, I really don't know you at all except through what you've written), but I appreciated seeing your thought process. The topic is interesting, of course, but seeing how you took this topic and pondered it really inspired me to ponder as I read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home