Monday, November 13, 2006

Righting Wrongs and Wronging Rights

On Wednesday, our pragram went on a two day tour to see how instruments were made and all of the processes involved with it. I arrived early on the day, placed my bag in a seat, then actually felt like being social and outside as well, so I talked to some people outside of the bus while waiting till the last second to leave.

I got on the bus and noticed that my bag had been moved. One of the girls in our group decided she wanted her own seat, recognized that that was my bag, and we're close enough as friends that she put my bag in some other seat, and spread out to make sure no one would sit with her, so she could have those two seats on the tour bus to herself.

I didn't know who's bag sitting next to mine where the girl had put it, but I wasn't going to have that, you don't just start throwing people's things around just because you want your way, when rightfully, it shouldn't be yours. So in a manner very uncharistic of me, I told her that, no she can't just move my stuff on a whim, and moved her stuff into the compartment above and sat down right next to her.

The gentleman whose seat my bag was carelessly thrown into then entered on the bus and sat down. This guy is easily the social misfit of the group. Most of the time he seems like he's starved for attention and will follow you around at exceptionally close distances, and most people will probably consider him to be a very creepy guy with no social grace. He would have enjoyed having somebody to talk to for the trip, and in all honesty, I wouldn't have minded. There are some people in the program who are absolutely disrespectful to him, which is sad. Admittedly, I've had those thoughts before, but I try not to voice them. But there was a chance for me to sit down and chat with him, and just let him enjoy the time, instead of just staring out the window or elsewhere.

Instead I chose the option to right a wrong, and wronged a right that I had an oppurtunity to do. Usually I'm in the position and nature where I'll do something right giving the oppurtunity, but I won't correct the wrongs that happen around me or to me. So it's interesting for me to be on the side of righting wrongs and wronging rights, instead of righting rights and wronging wrongs. Now if I could just make sure I could right everything, but I'm only human.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home