Thursday, February 17, 2005

Missionary Rant

I don't have too long, but we'll see if I can make this up in time.

Can I tell you how much I abhore the commitment pattern. This has been brought to my attention with the large influx of return missionaries coming into the branch. One in particular just became my home teacher. So on Sunday, he comes up and is talking to me. Mentions that he's my home teacher, then it comes, "WILL YOU..." followed by the rest of whatever he had to say about having them come over. I absolutely hate that phrase, and missionaries use that phrase more than America follows fads, I swear.

I remember sitting in district meeting with DL's and ZL's, APE's and whoever else, we need to do this and that and so on, and then at the end, "WILL YOU..." They say it with the upmost importance, as if that will be the most important decision I'll ever make in my life. I'm mean, we've been taught the commitment pattern, we know what it is, and at least to me, I feel belittled and talked down to, whenever I hear that phrase. I just always have. I don't know if others feel that same way. They get it so engrained in their heads that this is the way it is done, and the most effective. It's almost like teaching the teacher. It doesn't work.

Maybe if they didn't emphasize the "will you" so much. But they always accent those two words, like they feel angels will come down and manifest that their use of "will you" will cause miricles to happen. Hello, you're asking if you can set up an appointment for home teaching. Not a problem. It's no big deal. Saying Will you, would, could, poop, pee, stupid, the, how, why, etc. isn't going to change what I'm going to say. It's not going to be some magnificent life changing decision if I say yes to having you come home teach me. I almost wanted to say no out of spite. For some reason, "will you" questions put me on a huge defensive front because I hate that phrase so much.

Now, used properly, I will say it can be effective. My institute teacher has used it once or twice in class. He saw areas that he considered to be problems and he felt could be improved upon. He felt it was serious enough that he felt prompted to discuss about it, once the Spirit is present and the question inspired he asked, "WILL YOU..." It was much more effective, and I will admit, my prideful attitude almost took hold of me in that certain situation, but I was able to quell that and recognize the importance of what was being asked.

I swear, return missionaries need to be sent to detraining before they come home. Some sense needs to be beaten into their heads. Alright enough ranting for today. I'm probably the only person who this would even bother. Oh well.

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger SkyBluePink said...

I remember when I was investigating the Church, every time the Elders would say, "Will you..." I'd respond with, "Well, I'll try. DO you?"

They hated me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home